Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mad about Blue

My favorite color is blue. For some reason I don't buy items in blue all that often. More often if I have options I will select pink, red or coral instead. And if I can't bring myself to purchase a bold color I resort to the black, white or brown. And when it comes to jewelry I lean towards gold or silver jewelry selections because of it's versatility. Last fall I purchased a blue and green Brighton bag. That was a huge step and I think it set me in motion. Since then I have made other purchases which have bolder color and design.
As I was browsing some other design sites I came across this beautiful blue/citron/gold ensemble. A few years ago I was not impressed with at an ikat. Never say never. Now I think they are totally fab. Especially when they are available in such eye catching colors. So I selected this room as inspiration and built my ideal room with Bassett finds.
Here we have a beautiful tufted sofa with chaise. The glimmering gold cocktail tables coordinate beautifully with the shimmery mirror frame as well as the chandelier above. All set in front of a fabric covered accent wall and additional ikat pillows adorning the sofa.
Now my turn. While that sofa is a dramatic statement, my personal choice would be a chesterfield style. Bassett makes a very comfortable chesterfield sofa called King Street. Bassett has introduced a new Chesterfield II with a tight seat but I prefer loose seat cushions. I draped it in the blue velvet #6310-5 Navy with the accent pillow being a vibrant ikat #4246-4 Seaglass (which is not seen on my sample but I have included the swatch). This ikat would also be applied to the wall as is done in the inspiration image. For the cocktail table I selected a HGTV Bassett round cocktail table. It doesn't have as much shine, but I do love the design. I also would add a comfy accent chair. With such a luxurious sofa, I think the Oxford is an excellent choice partly due to the traditional look, but it is super comfy too. This chair has a mix of top grain leather on the sides, fabric on the inside (#2326-4 Seaglass). Notice the turned legs coordinate nicely with the sofa as well.

The ottoman is a custom round with the popular lantern motif (3309-5 Royal) in dark blue with a skirt and contrast welt in green. An accent kidney pillow in #3398-3 Citron adds a punch and would look great on the sofa next to the ikat. The decorative mirror adds a nice shine, plus ties in with the graphic elements. The lamps I selected add a nice height element as well as a warmth that ties in well with the other metals. A luxurious shag rug would be a nice finish. We have the Cosmo rug available in 9 colors, 4 which would work:  peacock blue, grass green, sapphire or ivory. I think the ivory would set off the sofa nicely as well as calm the other prints. The peacock blue would be my 2nd choice.
I usually have a hard time in deciding what direction to go. I would actually love this entire ensemble in my home right now! Now you go play around on the web or indulge in your newest shelter magazine to find your inspiration. It just takes a basic idea then you can make it your own. Have fun! P.S. I just had the idea to glue on Swarovski flat back crystals on the the ikat pillows to give it more sparkle. A few crystal AB, zircon, indigo and lime would work!







No comments:

Post a Comment